Can meditation be fun?
Meditation – let’s have some fun!
It doesn’t look very fun from the outside – the closed eyes and expressionless faces. You’re sitting in an uncomfortable position, wondering what to do, and hoping not to break the silence with a fart. Add in the somber direction to let go of who you think you are, in order to go in there and find out “who you really are.”
It always feels like the teacher knows who I really am, but they won’t tell. I always react to that. I get frustrated and angry – “Hey, I know who I am. Who are you to tell me that I don’t know who I really am?!” Great, now let’s sit still and breathe…and feel angry…I’m having fun now!
So much to think about…
I have spent more time thinking about meditation than practicing it. But I have managed to create a little practice of my own. Here’s how I started, it might serve you as well:
- Sit comfortably – that can be in a chair or on the floor. That’s it, be comfortable. Stop trying to shove yourself into a form of sitting that seems “right” but feels painful and/or aggravating.
- Where to put your hands? Put them wherever it’s comfortable – on your knees, thighs, lap, or wherever it feels comfortable to you.
- Fidget a little and make sure you are comfortable.
- Drop your mind onto your breath.
- Watch your mind go a little wild with a barrage of thoughts – that’s normal and to be expected. Give this stage a little time – it will settle down after a few minutes. The thing is, you have to be willing to wait for these thoughts to settle. This can fun – really! No matter what “bla-bla-bla” starts to roll around in your mind, for now, you don’t have to do anything with those thoughts. What a relief!
- Just keep bringing your mind back to the sensation of your breath. It will wander – that is normal, not failure. Just keep coming back to the breath. That’s all you have to do.
- Forget the time, hide the clock. Just breathe – you’ll know when you are done.
- There’s a wonder inside of you, which you will contact every so often with this practice. That is just a blast!
If you find out who you really are, please let me know – use the comment box below!
Happy travels within the adventure of You!
Thank you, Cindy for all your fun and informative concepts. I always enjoy your inserts and derive much knowledge.
I’m happy to know that some of my trials and tribulations end up benefiting others!
Thanks so much for writing, I appreciate hearing from you!