The Quest in 2014
1. Decipher that there is a spiritual path.
2. Decipher that the nagging urge, the sense of dissatisfaction of the mainstream’s notion of life, my feelings of angst, anger, sadness, fear and hopelessness are actually my Spirit longing for true expression.
3. Yearning for the spiritual path takes up all of my waking hours.
4. Decipher that the authentic explanation and embodiment of the spiritual path is not social media posts, is not “how to” books by the current media gurus promising a quick and easy path to nirvana, wealth, perfect relationship, perfect body, positive energy, good luck, and infinite happiness.
5. Cross the desert of disillusionment.
6. Recognize a moment of meaning.
7. Come to trust my ability to sense and know that moment – even though I cannot explain it in words.
8. Let all that I thought I knew crumble.
9. Feel the vulnerability of being outside the socially acceptable. Live the fear of not belonging, the sense of destruction and isolation that comes to those like me who do not conform.
10. Give up the hope of the material privileges that are promised to those who do conform.
11. Find a safe, trustworthy and rooted space within myself to call home, to turn to for refuge, for guidance, for true love.
12. Come to understand that I have always been on a spiritual path.
13. Relax into joyful anticipation of a life lived consciously and cooperatively with my Infinite Self.
14. Take another breath, walk another step, type another letter, contemplate with the love and patience the Unknowable.
When I was about 22 I was told to buy a book by Paul Brunton called “Perspectives.” In it he kept writing about “the quest.” I had no idea what he was talking about. This made me confused and angry. So, I bought his next book, called “The Quest.” It confused, confounded and intrigued me. I carried it around for years and wondered what it meant. I loved his books but I could not understand what he was talking about. Day by day and year by year, I’m less confused, less angry, more peaceful, more happy, yet no less drawn to the Mystery of the Unknowable.
Reading your words reminds me that we are all connected. At least it makes me feel less alone because the quest you are on is my quest, too and you articulated it for me. That “rooted space within myself to call home” sounds pretty sweet along with living a “conscious life with joyful anticipation”. I am unlearning a lot in order to do just that!
I am reminded of the quote by Rainer Maria Rilke: “be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like looked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, long along some distant day into the answer.”
I am trying to relax into all that is unsolved!!
Blessings for your journey!
Thank you for your beautiful words and open hearted sharing. Recently my quest has taken me to yoga. I bow to you and say “Namaste”, here is a translation that gives words to my sense of namaste, from http://www.taketheleap.com/namaste.htm
“I honor the place in you where Spirit lives
I honor the place in you which is
of Love, of Truth, of Light, of Peace,
when you are in that place in you,
and I am in that place in me,
then we are One.”
I so resonate with your message.
It has been a very slow process, but when taking a step back and managing not to drown in the main stream of life, I can recognise the brilliance of the small pockets of awakened souls multiply and shine brighter.
I hope I’m around to see the tipping point of change where the majority of people understand, and are ready to function on the next level of vibration.
Thank you for sharing.
Let’s all twinkle and shine together!
Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your words and perspective very much.
After reading this I don’t feel isolated anymore, I thought I was the
only wacked one at this time. Thank God Mercury is moving
forward on Tuesday. Lookin for Clariety
Linda – that makes two of us! I was born with Mercury Retrograde…I’m really looking forward to it going direct too – this has been quite the tangled few weeks!
Thanks so much for commenting, I appreciate knowing I’m not all alone out here.
Definitely never imagined this…many people have helped me on my way. I am happy that I can support others as a way of giving back some of what has been given me.
Thanks for writing, I appreciate hearing from you. 🙂
Cindy, thank you! Have you ever thought that you become one day someone important to others, who gets grateful follower, that uses your foot-steps for smoother path………. I am sure I am not the only one, who follows You 🙂
I so relate to all you just said.